Screen Student Film Festival
THE 2017 FESTIVAL
10th Annual Screen Student Film Festival
Friday, February 24, 2017
7:30 pm • Aero Theater • 1328 Montana Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90403
Click here to reserve your seats before they are gone. 2016 sold out!
Hosted by American Cinemateque at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, as well as the student filmmakers of Pacifica, the festival seeks to encourage relationships in the Los Angeles filmmaking community, celebrate filmmaking achievements, and to inspire creativity and collaboration among high school filmmakers.
For the fifth year in a row, we are pleased to count the Loyola Marymount School of Film and Television as our collaborator and sponsor, a relationship that continues to offer more and more opportunities for college experiences for our high school filmmakers, as well as exposure for our festival attendees. Visit our Facebook page at “Screen Student Film Festival” for daily updates.
Pacifica film students, along with all the students who submitted a film for consideration in the festival, are eligible to attend any or all of the sessions. Past guests have included screenwriters, producers, studio execs, production designers, and casting directors, as well as film school students and faculty.
THE 2017 DOCUMENTARY SERIES
Documentary Screening and Saturday Conversation Series
Student Documentary Screenings & Guest Artist Lecture Series
Saturday, February 25, 2017
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm • Aero Theater • 1328 Montana Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90403
We are pleased to offer our annual industry workshop Saturday Conversation series, hosted by the Aero Theater, and the 2nd annual Screen Documentary Series. The Doc Screening will showcase the best PSA and Documentaries from California high school students, while invited guests and filmmakers in the documentary world share their work and their experiences.
Submissions are accepted for the 2017 festival via FilmFreeway.
For more information, email us at screenfilmfest@
Submissions begin October 31, 2016. Final deadline for submissions is January 12th, 2017.
If you have submitted in the past, we loved watching your films- please send more! If you have been accepted in the past, we loved sharing your work with others- so send more! And if you never submitted before, we want to help MORE people to see YOUR work!
Last year we received work representing thirty-five California high schools, from San Francisco to Orange County, and enjoyed submissions from many new contributing schools. Count yourself as one of the 2017 participants by submitting your work today!
All official selections will receive a swag bag and winners will receive a plaque at the end of the event, either Friday for narrative films or Saturday for documentary films. Awards are given for:
Best Documentary (awarded on Saturday)
Best Technical Achievement
Best Sound Design
RULES AND IMPORTANT DATES
1) Films must have been filmed, wrapped, edited, and completed between the months of January 2016 and January 2017 by California high school students.
2) Films must have been directed, written, and edited by high school students only. Films by high school seniors spring semester 2016 are eligible only if the films were completed prior to college enrollment.
3) Films must be under 12 minutes in length for the narrative competition on Friday, while documentary submissions for Saturday must be under 20 minutes.
4) Submissions accepted via Filmfreeway. Films should be the highest HD quality you can provide. If a lesser quality file is submitted and you are selected, we will require you to send a higher quality version prior to the festival.
5) Must be submitted by January 12, 2017
6) By submitting a film to the SCREEN Film Festival, filmmakers affirm that they have cleared all rights to materials within their films including but not limited to music rights, actors releases, etc.